internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Matrix Reloaded?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: machett AT ibiblio.org
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Matrix Reloaded?
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 22:36:04 -0400

...just left the theatre. I'd read an article in a recent Time magazine, so
I wasn't let down at all; the article helped deflate me a bit beforehand, and
I already knew one point the author presented: having been wowed by the first
with its new tricks, I wasn't nearly as wowed the second time around. I do
appreciate what the second film had to offer to the overall storyline,
however. But on the other hand, I'm of the opinion that the first film was
enough.

Reloaded does raise some interesting questions:
- Is the purpose of The One really what The Architect said it was, or is that
just another lie?
- Why would an entity (program), albeit a rogue entity, aspire to aid those
elements (humans) who ultimately will destroy said entity, by destroying the
environment in which the entity resides, aka The Matrix?
- Can skills in a make-believe realm transfer to the real world? (ala Neo
destroying the Sentinels at the end of the movie ... or, for example, does
being a master of an online martial arts game somehow make one a better
combatant in the real world?)
- And of course there's the old philosophical postulate voiced by the
character of the Merovingian, that there really is no such thing as free
will. It's a dreadfully brain-cramping argument, that everything any given
person does is the result not of that person's choice but of what of course
would happen/be chosen given that person's genetics and life history...

But I much prefer the first film and believe it stands on its own. It just
tickles me that it and Fight Club came out around the same time...

-Alan