internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] if your OS was a car

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: <thomas AT tbeckett.com>, "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] if your OS was a car
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 08:28:34 -0400

The story said that the minister was trapped in a BMW 520, which unlike the
7 series does not have the Windows CE based iDrive system (at least the
current 5 series does not), so no, he could not have been put in jeopardy by
the "blue windscreen of death".

http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2003/n051301.shtml

Crashed Computer Traps Thai Politician
Updated 14 May 2003

Thailand's Finance Minister Suchart Jaovisidha had to be rescued today
from inside his expensive BMW limousine after the onboard computer
crashed, leaving the vehicle immobilized.

Once the computer failed, neither the door locks, power windows nor air
conditioning systems would function, leaving the Minister and his driver
trapped inside the rapidly heating vehicle.

Despite the pair's best efforts, it took a full ten minutes before they
were able to summon the attention of a nearby guard who freed the two
men by smashing one of the vehicle's windows with a sledgehammer.

A report published in the Bangkok Post indicates that the vehicle was Mr
Jaovisidha's own BMW 520 which was being used while his state-supplied
Mercedes, was being repaired.

BMW's more up-market 7-series range uses a computer system called
i-drive which has Microsoft's WindowsCE at its core.

Did Mr Jaovisidha narrowly miss being killed by the blue windscreen of
death?

And here:
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=126&art_id=qw1052823065524M361&set_i
d=4