internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: To Buy an Apple or Not to Buy an Apple

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Jim Allman" <jim AT ibang.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: To Buy an Apple or Not to Buy an Apple
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 13:50:35 -0400

Just to chime in here, I'm very happy with my 800 MHz iBook (aka
"Superfly"). It's holding up nicely for daily programming, Flash and web
development.

I maxed out the RAM (also bought from Crucial) and saw much snappier
performance from OS X. I think anyone who's sitting on the fence regarding
iBook vs. PowerBook should try an iBook with lots of RAM before making a
final decision.

Regarding possible changes in Apple's architecture: I doubt they'll
abandon
these machines in any serious way. What's your worst-case scenario? That
expensive peripherals will stop working? Or that the OS will leave PPC-based
Macs behind somehow?

=jimA=