internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Mini Cooper

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: burnett AT pobox.com
  • Cc: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Mini Cooper
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:41:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Diana Duncan wrote:

> Funny, somewhat OT story about Mini's...
>
> I worked with a huge guy at Worldcom (he started out at around 600
> lbs., got the surgery and was down to about 450 by the time I got
> axed). He used to race the old Mini's. His buddies with the car put
> the seat in the middle, and with his weight he was able to get
> *amazing* cornering performance just by leaning one way or the other.
> Basically he drove it like a motorcycle. He never related whether the
> seat was cloth or leather, though.
>
> We're really looking forward to the remake of "The Italian Job", which
> stars several new Mini's. I would love for the original to come out on
> DVD -- Craig says it's a hoot, but we don't have a VHS player any more.

Saw a sneak preview of the remake early last week: it was a pretty fun
caper movie. I'll have to see it again as they screened a rough cut: they
warned the color wasn't the same as the final print will be, some of the
transition scenes were a bit off and being reshot, and the film score was
a mix of Oakenfold's music from the _Get Carter_ remake (the one with
Stallone in 2000, not the 1971 original) and Fluke's "Atom Bomb" song. And
I bet they'll do a DVD release of the original after the remake opens at
the end of May.

> Maybe you Mini enthusiasts should have a movies night with movies
> where Mini's play a leading role -- I would suggest The Bourne Identity
> as a candidate.

Steve Burnett
burnett AT pobox.com