internetworkers - [internetworkers] Dean for President Party this Saturday. Beer will be served.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Linda Watson <linda AT lindawatson.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Dean for President Party this Saturday. Beer will be served.
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 13:17:01 -0400

Greetings, all --

In our last episode, I'd mentioned to this group that I was supporting Howard Dean for President in 2004. Paula Childers wroted a spirited suggestion that Dennis Kucinich was actually the thinking man's candidate.

That may be true, but after checking out Kucinich and Dean more, I believe that Dean is the thinking WOMAN's candidate as well as the thinking man's. Kucinich has voted strongly and consistently against a woman's right to choose abortion without government intervention -- even in the most dramatic of circumstances. After getting lots of pressure on this, he's now voting mostly "present" or "no" on most choice issues, with a few yeses. I want a president that is firmly pro-choice! This is especially important because so many members of the Supreme Court may retire soon.

An example of the pressure:
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20020527&s=pollitt

An example of the response:

So, for those of you who agree, please come to the first Triangle fundraiser for Dean this Saturday. See the note below. The party is on the anniversary of Dean's signing of the Civil Union bill in Vermont. I've heard local craft beers and respectable wine will also be served.

... Linda

************************* the invitation, the rationale, the next steps *********************

I hope you'll consider coming to a fundraising party to support Howard Dean's candidacy for President in 2004. I'm one of many co-hosts for the party, which will be at Clay and Betty Buller Whitehead's house in Chapel Hill this Saturday. It starts at 7:00 and goes on at least to 11:00, when Governor Dean will call to talk with us and answer a few questions from our local group. Live jazz from "The Fine Line" with Mike Bisdee and David Kreimer will keep us hopping until then, and we'll also have food, drinks, a video message from Dean, and a few words from peace activist Wendy Michener.

Here's the link to page for party tickets ($35 and up), followed by a few comments about why I hope you'll support Dean and information about how you can get involved in this campaign.

Get tickets to the party at:
http://dfa.convio.net/site/TR?pg=personal&fr_id=1000&px=1001310

Why Dean? Why now? Well, I never expected to write this sort of note to my friends, but perhaps you have become as concerned about the State of the Union as I am. After watching President Bush's ultimatum to Saddam Hussein and Iraq, I knew I had to work against the doctrine of preemptive strikes. I had to work against the erosion of our rights and the crippling of our economy at home.

Fortunately, I'd already heard good things about former Vermont Governor Howard Dean. He says he represents the Democratic Wing of the Democratic Party. He says he wants to take his country back. After several days of reading up on Dean, I was thrilled.

Howard Dean is a candidate I can support enthusiastically. He's someone to work FOR ... not merely the least objectionable of the candidates. He's against preemptive strike on Iraq. Dean supports equal rights, the environment, universal healthcare -- all with real, fiscally conservative plans. He'll draw on his intelligence, character, and diverse background to start healing the nation. He's been a stockbroker, medical doctor, and Vermont representative and governor. Learn more about him at http://www.deanforamerica.com . Then let's make him President!

I hope to see you at the fundraiser this Saturday. Please also consider doing some or all of the following to support Dean's campaign:

* Sign up to meet with other Dean supporters on the first Wednesday of every month at http://dean2004.meetup.com/

* Participate in our Yahoo newsgroup:

* Visit the North Carolinians for Dean website at http://nc.fordean.org

* And of course, that fundraiser link again is: http://dfa.convio.net/site/TR?pg=personal&fr_id=1000&px=1001310

If you have any questions or comments, please email me or call me at 919-781-1044.

Hope to see you Saturday!
... Linda

Linda Watson
Communications Committee Contact
North Carolinians for Howard Dean
919-781-1044 / linda AT lindawatson.com

  • [internetworkers] Dean for President Party this Saturday. Beer will be served., Linda Watson, 04/23/2003