internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] [Fwd: Inappropriate e-mail you may have rec eived about Silent Sam]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Wolfe, Joanna" <wolfe AT oup-usa.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] [Fwd: Inappropriate e-mail you may have rec eived about Silent Sam]
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:34:15 -0400

isn't that Son of Sam? did you hear a barking dog?
jw

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:41:01 -0400
From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [internetworkers] spam study

on Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 10:19:48AM -0400, Bill Geschwind wrote:
> This morning I came across a write-up of a study about the origins of
> spam email. Do those of you who manage mail servers find the results of
> this study plausible?

Yep, though they didn't mention that many addresses are simply made up,
whether through deliberate attempts to bloat "millions" CDs, or just due
to general incompetence of the programmers writing scrapers.

As of this writing, I have 1073 verified spamtraps - "addresses", or
strings in the form of an address, that have never been live accounts or
have been disabled for over a year. Most are munged forms of real
accounts or message-IDs scraped off public mailing list archives. The
vast majority of the spam I get is sent to one of these spamtrap
addresses or one of the addresses I've used on Usenet, the Web, or the
whois database.

To give you an idea of volume, I've received 5923 spam messages this
month, and my spamtraps have received 8326 so far. That's about 620
messages per day, all of it spam. Fortunately, we're catching a large
percentage of it through the use of various filters and the like, maybe
even 99%, but that still means from 5-10 spam messages get through a
day. I'm trying various mechanisms to limit that while maintaining a
sane (ideally zero) false positive rate, but so far I've found nothing
that catches it all without increasing the odds of catching legit mail
sent through irresponsible ISP's mail servers or with suspiciously
invalid headers (cough, Outlook/Exchange/Notes/etc., cough), or with
contents resembling some other spam, etc.

Steve

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier