internetworkers - [internetworkers] two for one musical InterNetWorkers

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: childers.paula AT epamail.epa.gov
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] two for one musical InterNetWorkers
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 15:42:07 -0500

that's right - this Satuday at Ringside, you can see TWO of us doin'
that musician thing live and in person, on the same night, in the same
place, for one and only one teensy microscopic cover charge. :-) And in
Durham, no less!

My band (the Billion) will be playing with Steve Burnett's band,
Subscape Annex (Steve, should we really call you a "band," or are you
more of an "ensemble"?), and we will be gettin' ALL down FREAKY weird
with a set of totally LIVE IMPROV!

(If you've ever heard the Billion before, just forget all that. this is
completely different. like, oh, my, wow, whoa completely different.
like, wear black and smoke cloves kind of different. like, we probably
should have changed our name to something dark & brooding for it kind of
completely different. ) (and Steve's folk are - Steve, why don't you
tell the kind Internetworkers folk what you guys are like??? :-) )

Dammit, *some* of you ought to show up. It's a Saturday. And it's
Ringside.

http://www.tentotheninth.com/333cim.html

333 : CREATIVE IMPROVISATIONAL MUSIC
Saturday  April 5th, 2003 : an occurrence at venue RINGSIDE <
www.ringsidedurham.com >
: The Billion : jazz-influenced dark improv-jam rock < ref: Lake Trout >
: chapel hill
: Oedipus Dick : acousti-funkjazzhip-hop < ref: G Love & Special Sauce >
: raleigh
: Subscape Annex : ambient improvisational soundscapes < ref: Spaceman3,
Bill Laswell, Brian Eno ((note: Steve says this really should have said
"Coil, Robert Rich")) > : raleigh
: A not-to-be-missed evening of unique, interesting, eclectic and
motion-inducing music at the most unique and eclectic venue in the
Triangle. Three trios (333) exploring the odd edges of poprock gather to
morph a live sonic collage outside the traditional musical boundaries of
the Triangle scene.

"Turning the tables on the cool kids, "gutter jazz" trio Oedipus Dick
swirls buzzing bass together with wispy, brushed snare and humming keys
[into an] irony-laden repertoire" - Triangle.Citysearch.com.

Ambient, darkwave, and industrial influences merge into a textural space
apart in the world of Subscape Annex, a Raleigh trio whose
improvisations of synth, loops, effects, theremin, and Chapman stick
have entranced First Friday artcrawlers at Bickett Gallery and
Feathernet Gallery.

The Independent Weekly says "the [Billion's] penchant for otherworldly
sounds, odd pop melodies and guitar lines, ... and strange spoken/sung
vocals, make them a band of a different color."