internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: No conspiracy, just a Columbia/NASA re- entry decision question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org (Parker, David X)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: No conspiracy, just a Columbia/NASA re- entry decision question
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 14:09:33 -0500

As demonstrated by a great little gadget at the Museum of Life and Science,
which I've never been able to master, getting the shuttle to meet up with
the space station isn't as easy as just pulling up to a parking space.
They're both orbiting the earth at different altitudes and (not sure about
this) different speeds. When they want to send the shuttle to the space
station they have to time the launch just right, or the two will miss each
other by thousands of miles.