internetworkers - [internetworkers] February Gathering & Valentine Fest at RiRa

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] February Gathering & Valentine Fest at RiRa
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:00:01 -0500 (EST)

February for many is the /longest/ month of the year: cold, wet,
dark, interminable. Well come in and share the warmth with your
InterNetWorkers friends at RiRa in Raleigh! Share the warmth with your
sweetie by making your own Valentine. And share the warmth with
others, too, and bring some old-but-good clothes for the second
installment of our clothing drive.

What: InterNetWorkers February Gathering and Open-Source
Valentine Fest!
When: Thursday, February 6, 2003, 7:00 p.m.
Where: RiRa
126 North West Street, Raleigh
Phone: (919) 833-4544
http://triangle.citysearch.com/profile/11355773/
Why: Spreading the warmth is always rewarding, especially
when you and your sweetie add new meaning to "Open
Source"

RiRa has set aside some of its ample, cozy space for us, including some
tables for making Valentines. Gina Norman has carefully organized this
functionality for us. See below for details.

Because our January clothing drive fell on the same night as the snow
storm, many weren't able to bring the clothes they had set aside. But
don't throw them back in to the closet -- you can bring them to the
February clothing drive. As an added bonus, Ateb is doing their own
corporate clothing drive in support of this event. Dennis DiVenuta, Mary
Taylor and Mike Brown are gathering the clothes from the Ateb folks, and
we're handling the logistics.

Thanks to NetPhoenix for providing logistical support. We couldn't do
it without you! Thanks to Ateb for supporting our efforts with their
own corporate clothing drive.

As usual, please RSVP to me, so I can tell the barkeep how many
to expect.
... . . .

Valentines Craftiness, in the words of HRH Gina Norman, the Lint Queen:

For those that are interested, I'm organizing an Open-source
Valentines-making table at INW this month. I made a big Michael's run
(they have all Christmas stuff 90% off, which is not relevant to this
discussion, but still!!!) and raided my supply closet (OK, I admit it,
my whole upstairs is a supply closet) and will be bringing the following:

* Scissors, including some fancy-pants edging ones
* Glue sticks & mucilage (don't you *love* saying "mucilage"?)
* Cardstock & paper (I raided my big stash & got a lot of basics)
* Markers that are guaranteed not to dry out for 60 days (says the
box, anyway)
* Doilies
* Chenille stems
* Ribbon
* Heart punches
* Paper trimmer
* A few rubber stamps with hearts and the like on them
* Stamp pad
* Little foam hearts
* Sequin hearts
* Paper & cardstock, including some decorative ones

What we could use:
* Interesting hard copy "clip art" (anything that could be
deconstructed and used as part of a valentine)
* More things to draw with (colored pencils, markers, calligraphy
pens, etc.)
* More glue (you always need more glue)
* Plain paper (for card bases) -- blank cards are available at
stationers and are an easy way to start
* Interesting (/patterned) paper for decorating
* Tools (punches, scissors, etc.)
* **something large to cover the table with** -- anyone have an
old sheet they're willing to donate to the MPE (Mess Prevention Effort)
(Remember to label anything you're bringing that you expect to get
back.)

Also, if everyone who makes Valentines could please contribute $3-4 to
help offset the cost of the "consumables" that would be really helpful.

Yah! Holler if you have questions or if you want to let me know that
you're definitely interested.

See you there!

hearts,

gina

  • [internetworkers] February Gathering & Valentine Fest at RiRa, Thomas Beckett, 01/31/2003