internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Fwd: [Money from the music industry]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Fwd: [Money from the music industry]
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 16:52:11 -0500 (EST)

This is cool. I've been thinking some about this, actually.

This is the settlement of a class action against the big record
companies for price-fixing in the 90s. You can sign up online and
get between $5 and $20 as your share of the settlement. I've checked
it out and it is for real.

It occured to me that, since we're each taking a small amount of the
music industry's money in punishment for their bad behavior that
we should each turn around and donate our settlement to a worthy
organization that supports OUR digital rights and the public domain.

This would obviously include EFF, Center for the Public Domain,
Creative Commons, and so forth. (What am I missing?)

I have requested a hard-copy settlement claim form and I intend to
make a bunch of copies to bring to the next InterNetWorkers
gathering so everyone there can fill one out and make their claim.
And I will provide an additional form that anyone who want can
include to assign their share of the settlement to EFF or
whoever.

What do y'all think?

TaB