internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Power outage?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Diane M. Kurilecz" <d.m.kurilecz AT ieee.org>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Power outage?
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 09:51:22 -0500

> Is anyone else's power out? Our power flickered all night and finally
> gave out about 5:30AM.

We had a short outage and some flickering overnight, and the cable modem
connection was down part of this morning, but both are working fine now.

An awful lot of trees are down in our neighborhood. One fell on our
house, but it looks like it did no major damage, and I think it will
hold until Young's Tree Service shows up.

On the bright side, it smells wonderful out there! All that pine sap
released into the air!

The local neighborhood Darwin Award goes to the family letting their
toddler run around outside by himself while trees are cracking and
falling everywhere. Sigh.

A fellow Internetworker in Durham called to say her power is out, and
Duke Power's phone lines are busy. I checked their website, and there's
no way to report an outage or to check on the status of an outage. All
that information is sitting in a database, and it would be trivial to
make a webpage to support their customers in this way (and would cut
down on their phone calls, too!).

> I wonder if a Back UPS Pro 650 had enough power to make coffee?

Probably. What's it rated for, and how much power does the coffee maker
draw?

> PS This palm phone with email is turning out to be handy :-)

High tech!

***diane

--
Diane M. Kurilecz d.m.kurilecz AT acm.org
Readercon http://readercon.org/