internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Any Good Chat Software?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: internetworkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Any Good Chat Software?
  • Date: 22 Nov 2002 14:29:39 -0500

On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 13:21, David Minton wrote:
> We are looking for some alternatives for offering "Chat" services to
> clients. Personally, I am not a big fan of the concept in general--partially
> due to the negative connotation "chat" has developed, and that I find forums
> more useful.

> We are looking for something for RedHat Linux 7/Apache 1.3/PHP 4/MySQL.

> Does anyone use anything that they particularly like (or dislike),
> preferably GPL, but commercial is also acceptable.
>
> Thanks,
> David

If you want a chat server (instant messaging), use jabberd (GPL)
www.jabber.org

If you want irc chat, use dancer-ircd (GPL)
http://freenode.net/dancer_ircd.shtml

If you are talkinb about instant messaging client, Gaim is the way to go
(multiprotocol, elegant, logs, GPL)

For irc clients, an easy one to use and set up is Ksirc (GPL)

Everything is easy to configure, implement and all.

Let me know if you need help.

Salut,
Josep, using Gaim, dancer-ircd, Ksirc and having played with jabberd
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/
[MaDuiXa PoWeR] http://www.maduixa.net