internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] 20:02, 11-11, 2002

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] 20:02, 11-11, 2002
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 12:54:11 -0500

> > I wonder what the longest character string out
> > there is?
>
> My bet's on the Terraserver (or some similar massive database). Display
> the whole db into hex and it's one really long string. Display the whole
> thing as binary and it's even longer (4x!!).

I like it, assuming you can do a db dump of such a monster. I expect that no
one has bothered to implement that function fully. :-)

If you constrain the problem to "the longest character string that has some
real value other than being the longest character string," then you probably
get something like the best approximation of pi (but probably longer). I would
like to define such a string as a naturally occurring string, with "naturally"
being open to interpretation.