internetworkers - [internetworkers] smart mobs

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] smart mobs
  • Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 22:23:18 -0500

Here's a fun, fast review of Howard Rheingold's book /Smart Mobs/.

http://www.mindjack.com/books/smartmobs.html

I'm reading the book now and I concur with Mr. Doctorow's review, only he says it so much better than I could. "Smart Mobs are the Slashdot effect applied to the meatspace zeitgeist. A squillion like-minded souls who don't know each other and will never meet pop out of the transmetropolitan brickface and break the white-noise balance of atomic viewpoints to speak with one voice, roaring a righteous YES or an adamant NO without organizers, without leaders, without manifestoes or forethought. Enabled by close-to-hand, invisibly-ubiquitous tech -- the Internet, mobile phones, two-way pagers, blogs, the Web, WiFi -- they turn meme into deed."

Here's more on the book: http://www.smartmobs.com/index.html

TaB