internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Mac question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <david AT designhammer.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Mac question
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:29:26 -0400

Kind of strange to find something that old unused. That model was introduced
in February of 1996. Here are the specs:

If it still has its Appleshare Server license, it may be worth that much to
someone (depending on the version). The computer itself is nothing special,
it just shipped with an Appleshare Server license. It is quite expendable (8
Ram slots, upgradeable processor, etc.), but would be more expensive to get
to a G3 than an older used G3. The RAM is pain to access (the 8500 Chassis
is one of the worst Apple developed).

If you want to try OS X, you would need to add about $40 worth of RAM
(2x256MB) at a minimum:

128MB 168 Pin Mac 5V DIMM 60NS 4K FPM non-EDO (2K Per Bank)

As well as a G3 Processor for about $150 for a 500MHz (may be chaeper on
eBay).

Hope this helps.

David