internetworkers - [internetworkers] usa today

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: AlMaur777 AT aol.com
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] usa today
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:13:01 EDT

What kind of newspaper is USA Today?

Within the industry, although it makes plenty of money, it's considered a lightweight editorially, which it is. The New York Times and the Wall Street Journal, its main competitors as national newspapers, are far more respected for the quality, depth, and reliability of their content.

Personally I think there's room for splashy, colorful papers such as USA Today and the weightier, more respectable journals as well, but one shouldn't confuse the two. USA Today is journalism lite, which is exactly what a lot of people seem to want, and all that some have time for, but it's closer to People magazine and TV soundbites than to the New York Times or any other respectable big city daily.

But here's a question for y'all:

What would the tech community like to see get more coverage in local/regional media such as Localtechwire.com and Triangle Tech Journal?

What are we missing? Should they go for depth or journalism lite?

I'm asking on my own, not on behalf of the publications mentioned. Thanks.

Allan

Allan Maurer

Published widely in national, regional, and local media including magazines from Playboy to Modern Maturity, four books, long running columns and literally thousands of articles for newspapers, wire services and online.

Senior Writer: www.localtechwire.com   A new daily online news service covering technology and venture-backed companies in the southeast LocalTechWire.com .