internetworkers - [internetworkers] sad day in Carrboro

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <udk AT punkfu.com>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] sad day in Carrboro
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 08:44:13 -0700 (PDT)

I just heard that Sherwood Ward died last Wednesday, Sept. 18.

Sherwood owned a building on Main Street in Carrboro, the one
the Orange County Social Club now occupies, and where The Friendly
Barber Shop has existed since the beginning of time. The office space
he rented out upstairs was seedy, drafty and dusty, and definitely the
cheapest space in town. Which is why it was (and will hopefully remain)
the incubator for more creative enterprises and record labels than I can
easily recall. A few of the ones I do remember:

Yep Roc
Redeye
Ventana
catalogue.com
Merge (?)
Scratch Disk (?)

Help me here...

Even though the roof leaked, Sherwood was friendly, tolerant of his
offbeat tenants, and often willing to cut some slack on rent day. He
helped Carrboro, as we think of it, to happen.

Sad day.

TaB

  • [internetworkers] sad day in Carrboro, thomas, 09/24/2002