internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] 15 seconds of what

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott <scottrus AT ifndef.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] 15 seconds of what
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:44:50 -0500

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 01:48:18PM -0400, machett AT ibiblio.org wrote:

> This is a completely inane question, but it has positively consumed my
> curiosity.
>
> One of the computers where I work has a penchant for crashing so hard that
> not even Ctrl-Alt-Del works. Now, at such times when hitting the power
> button becomes necessary, I've caught myself counting 15 seconds before
> restoring power. Finding this to be an odd sort of thing to do, I took
> some time to wonder why I did it in the first place. I vaguely recall from
> my youthful days of textured monitors with green screens that, when
> resetting a system, one should wait 15s. for ... and this is where my vague
> memory fails me.
>
> Is my memory faulty or was there indeed some valid reason back in the day
> for waiting 15s. before restoring power to a computer?

Most of the time the power switch on these newer boxes isn't directly
connected to the power supply. It runs through the mobo and it's what I
think of as a 'soft power switch' since it won't really turn the power
supply on or off. If you want to that try unplugging the box for a few
seconds or looking for a power switch located on the power supply at the
back of the system.

Giving 5 or 15 seconds of wait is a good thing IMHO. It gives hard drives
and fans time to spin down and gives capacitors / circuts time to drain.

During those 5 or 15 seconds you can active a state of zen that will flush
your mind of all negative energies and direct good will at the box. The
ability to reach a zen like state and focus good will at the system is a
vital skill that only the best support techs master. (The really good ones
can do it over the phone!)

--
Scott