internetworkers - Re: Modern documentation solution?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Childers.Paula AT epamail.epa.gov
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Modern documentation solution?
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 16:18:11 -0400

Michael, maybe I'm just way off base, but why not offer the HTML'ized
manuals on a CD which the customer can request to be shipped to him
through the mail for a small extra fee (or for free, if you feel so
generous toward your customers)? That way you still only have to
maintain the HTML version, and the users can transport and access the CD
from any location. And buring CD's is pretty cheap these days.

Michael

Czeiszperger To: InterNetWorkers

<czei@webperforma
<internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
nceinc.com> cc:

Subject: [internetworkers]
Modern documentation
07/11/02 03:22 PM solution?

Please respond to

InterNetWorkers

I'm trying to figure out where to go with our ducumentation strategy and
was
hoping to get some advice from the list.

The current situation is we sell an application which people download
from our
web site and install. All of the documentation is on the web site, and
the
Help menu just brings up a browser pointing to the manual on the web
site.

We've gotten a fair number of complaints about this setup from:

* People in foreign countries with lousy internet connections
* People don't like reading anything on the web
* People who claim to be using the product on computers without internet

connections (which is hard to believe given that its a web server
testing
product)

I've tried just converting the web part of the manual to PDF, but it
just
doesn't look that great, and certainly doesn't look like a printed
manual,
which is what people seem to be expecting.

On the plus side, there's lots of other companies, like VMware that have

online manuals only, and I for one really like being able to search the
web
site and find help.

Is there a solution that would allow us to both maintain the HTML-based
web
pages and a printed version, and perhaps another version embedded with
the
product (like JavaHelp) maybe?

I've looked at RoboHelp, but the program appears to be pretty junky, and
was
wondering if there are any alternatives?

Thanks!

--
Michael Czeiszperger
czei AT webperformanceinc.com

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as:
childers.paula AT epamail.epa.gov
$subst('Email.Unsub')