internetworkers - Music and Film Bizs: they are different

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Music and Film Bizs: they are different
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 13:19:32 +0000

Excerps from
http://www.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,L-LATimes-Movies-X!ArticleDetail-64586,00.html

--- quote
" So why are movies and video games booming while the music business, pop
culture's trend-setter of the past several decades, is in such a funk? The
people who run record companies gloomily blame the Internet. But if you ask
music and movie lovers, you get a very different answer. Consumers adore
DVDs, which offer cool packaging and lots of interactive extras; they loathe
CDs, which they say are grossly over-priced and padded with filler. "

"... top music executives, such as Jim Urie, president of Universal Music and
Video Distribution, still contend that CDs are a great product.

"The dissing of CDs is just a ridiculous self-justification for stealing the
music," Urie says. "I hate to see what's going to happen when DVD burning
becomes as prevalent as burning CDs. How are people going to justify stealing
a movie by saying it isn't any good after the movie's already a $100-million
hit?"

Urie says his company doesn't heavily research consumer attitude, noting, "We
tend to ask how can we make more money and sell more product, not deal with
consumer gripes."

(...)

"...Craig Kornblau, president of Universal Studios Home Video...."

" Believing he should get to know his enemy, Kornblau is bringing his son
into
the office to meet his marketing team and show them the sites he visits. "If
he's grown up downloading music, imagine what it'll be like with the kid
who's grown up downloading movies," he says. "It isn't that far away."

It sounds awfully ominous until you recall that when Sony introduced the VCR,
it was sued by Universal, who claimed that unlawful copying would destroy the
movie business. The business not only survived, but thanks to DVD, it's
flourishing. In the entertainment business, it's fashionable to talk doom and
gloom but sometimes it's darkest just before the dawn. "

--- end quote

So the film industry adapted once, is adapting now and it will adapt in the
future. On the other hand, music industry disregards the consummer, keeps
pushing proizes up and blame change for their loss of sells.

Interesting.

For myself, I'm finding that the music that I like to buy tends to be old and
that I already have listen to. So down with (current) music biz!

Salut,
Josep
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve, QA-Test Engineer, Red Hat, Inc.
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/

  • Music and Film Bizs: they are different, Josep L. Guallar-Esteve, 07/03/2002