internetworkers - Re: new car recommendation

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: froglips AT sprintmail.com
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: new car recommendation
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:16:30 -0400

Hello all,

As a non-unbiased VW Gulf TDI owner, I shall thow my hat in the ring.

Oh, I fear I have been going on and on about my tdi to mr. josep for the last
year.

He even drove mine for a bit.

One comment about finding diesel fuel pumps. While most stations do not have
it, enough
do. Also, keep in mind I get ~560 miles per tank. So, running out of fuel
has not been
an issue yet.

For those don't like dirty diesel, keep an eye out for bio-diesel. It's made
from
vegetable oil (new or used!) and can be a 100% replacement for fossil fuel
with no alteration
to the car.

So far, the closest pump is in South Carolina, but we might see it soon. The
state
has a bill to fund alternative fuel in NC. Biodiesel is on their list. A
good replacement
for tabacco IMHO.

I have a dream. You pull up to a McDonalds, order you food and they fill up
your car. Talk
about a full service station. (Having to eat the food is another issue..)

Can we say McFuel?

I've had my TDI for about 18 months. Have had no problems, and love the fuel
milage.

Oh, what did I drive before, a new 2000 Camero SS. It was a lot of fun till
I had to drive it
every day. Then, it started to fall apart. Rear axle bearing disintegrated
and other things
stopped working. Oh, I only had 8,000 miles on it when this stuff started.
The car was only
11 months old.

Then, after getting the bearing fixed (after 4 different trips to the
dealer), the ABS stopped
working.

Love GM Quality (not a trademark).

I've never looked back.