internetworkers - Re: Help! I've been abused!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Help! I've been abused!
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:52:45 +0000

El dia Dijous 20 Juny 2002 14:41, no tenies res mes que fer i vas i m'envies
aquest e-mail:
> None of these email addresses are in my address book or would be in the
> (primarily news site) pages that I visit. The message is sex site spam and
> links to a real site (although whois doesn't recognize the site location).
> I have a current v of Norton Antivirus working for me. None of my friends
> have contacted me with expressions of !!! because I sent them a sex site
> spam. I do not think this is a virus. Surely there is something that I can
> do about this since it is a form of identity theft? At the least I should
> be able to get the advertised site shut down.

Let me try to explain it better.

I am saying that *not* you has Klez. I am saying that *someone else", that
has
your e-mail address in a message, be it an email or a newsgroups post, or has
in the disk-cached web-pages that happen to contain your e-mail address.

Klez , then, will "forge" the e-mail, changing the "From:" part of the email.
This can cause people to think that it was you who send the e-mail.

The Klez virus sends itself with changing subjexct lines, and usualy sends
infected (Windows) executables and random files from the victim's hard disk.

Maybe, if you want, you can forward me one of those emails, so I can try to
see what's going on. Select one of the e-mails and select "forward"" the
email, with all the attachements.

Salut,
Josep
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve, QA-Test Engineer, Red Hat, Inc.
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/