internetworkers - New Local Wireless Users Group

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Bill Vinson <billvinson AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: New Local Wireless Users Group
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 22:37:20 -0400

Hello all,

There is a new wireless user group setting up shop in town, Triangle
Wireless Users Group. I hope this announcement isn't out of line,
but I wanted to get the word out to the people in the triangle that I
believe are most likely to be into wireless technologies.

The address for the new group is http://www.triwug.org. Currently this
points to a page without much information, with the exception of a link
to the web forums for TriWUG. We are hoping to have more content
outside of the web forums as the group grows and matures. The forums
are meant for users of all operating systems. However, the software
sections are subdivided, so driver and software issues will be kept
seperate between the various OS. Currently the list of admins include
myself and Mike Johnson.

I hope some of you can come by, register, and post. With a little luck
I look forward to creating a good resource for people of the triangle as
wireless becomes more and more available in the area.

TriWUG has the following stated plans:

1. Host a web forum for the RTP area to discuss hardware, software
(Linux, BSD, Macintosh, Windows, etc.), and security issues related to
Wireless (802.11b, 802.11a, Bluetooth, etc.)
2. Work towards having regular informal meetings
3. Special events including hoped to include:
Homebrew antenna shootouts - Contest to see which homemade
antennas have the best range
Joint meetings with other local user groups

Thanks,
Bill
Bill Vinson
<billvinson AT nc.rr.com>