internetworkers - Linux on 486 machine?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Wagoner <dbwagoner AT yahoo.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Linux on 486 machine?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:17:13 -0700 (PDT)

Linux gurus,

Is it still true that I can run Linux (e.g. latest
Mandrake or Red Hat) on an old 486 machine, say with
64 MB RAM? I know this was the case not too long ago.

Here are the requirements for Mandrake 8.2 listed on
BestBuy.com:

Minimum PC System Requirements:
Processor Type: Intel® Pentium® processor, AMD Athlon™
processor
Operating System: Linux
System Memory: 32MB RAM
Hard Drive Space: 500MB
Video: VESA 2.0-compatible graphics card
Drive Type and Speed: CD-ROM

So my old 486 processor won't cut it?! Anyone tested
this?

david

=====
David Wagoner