internetworkers - Re: FUD alert!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "William F. Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FUD alert!
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 23:31:07 -0400

All of your arguments make sense, however this is not clear from the
Microsoft page about accepting donated computers (which pretty much is the
gist of this whole discussion).

Now, if MS discourages institutions from accepting donated computers, this
does bring up another question: what to do with those millions of computers
that were built and sold during the 80's and 90's and are now hopelessly
obsolete? Regardless of what software is on a computer, it's generally not a
good idea for an institution to accept something that is more than a few
generations out of date (Cliff Stoll has an excellent discussion about this
in his book "High-Tech Heretic"). So regardless of whether institutions can
accept donated computers or not, what will happen to all of that hopelessly
obsolete equipment that is cluttering up your closet in a few years, a
decade or several decades down the road? My closet is already full of old
junk, and I just don't have room in it for one more generation of computer
stuff. Are we going to eventually have computer junkyards littering the
countryside or outskirts of town like we have automobile junkyards today?
What about the environmentally hazardous materials inside the computers
(lead solder, batteries, etc.)? Has there been a discussion on this subject
here in the past before I joined, and if so, any good suggestions?

- Bill