internetworkers - .NET goes mobile (link)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: .NET goes mobile (link)
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 19:53:40 -0400

As someone who has looked closely at .NET and has programmed bar code scanners
(Intermec, specifically), I found the recent MS 1 degree of separation ads
with
the crashing wine racks a bit too fluffy and far-fetched. However, while
yesterday's announcement has nothing to do with bar code scanners, per se, MS
is
obviously making a big play for the mobile app space and are already trashing
J2ME.

http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s=201&a=25642,00.asp

"Meanwhile, Rasmussen said the .Net Compact Framework is more flexible than
the Java 2 Micro Edition specification in that it has built-in support for
XML, security, enterprise class access and XML Web services. "We're focused on
rich mobile devices like the Pocket PC and smart phones," he said. "J2ME is
strictly in the consumer space. It's a 'toyish' thing."

  • .NET goes mobile (link), Michael D. Thomas, 04/18/2002