internetworkers - RE: Bluetooth-enabled phones

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "'InterNetWorkers'" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Bluetooth-enabled phones
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:17:42 -0400

Looks like other parts of the world currently have more Bluetooth
options that we do. Nokia has a handful of Bluetooth enabled phones that
are available in Europe, Africa and Asia, but I was only able to find on
that they claim will be available in the Americas (maybe Q2 2002),
namely the 6310i. It still seems to be pending FCC certification before
being available for sale over here. More info on that one at:

http://www.nokia.com/phones/6310i/index.html
http://press.nokia.com/PR/200203/852443_5.html

If you want Bluetooth here and now, there is a goofy combination of a
Bluetooth handset that will work with a cell phone on Motorola's site
that they seem to sell now in this country. See the following for more
on that:
http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2
42495&prmenbr=126&accessories_cgrfnbr=22&zipcode=&phoneID=&search_string
=238320&type=All

Wasn't able to find too much on Ericsson's site or on the pages of the
major wireless carriers here (Sprint PCS, Verizon, Cingular, etc.)

Overall it looks like we'll have to wait a while before we can play with
Bluetooth over here like one can in other parts of the world. :(

And since you mentioned it, I do have one of those all-in-one PDA/cell
phone devices, and I love it and it works very well, however the limited
screen size is a compromise and I can see how it isn't for everybody.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your quest of reaching wireless
Nirvana.

- Bill

Bill Geschwind
Technical Assistance Manager
Department of Technology and Systems Support
Division of Student Affairs, University of N. Carolina at Chapel Hill
03 Teague Hall, CB# 5510 (919) 962-5629
Chapel Hill, NC 27599 geschwin AT email.unc.edu

=MP580126&listing=1

plus my wee little PDA (HP Jornada 568)

plus a bluetooth phone

would give me supremely wireless access. (And, yes, before anyone says
anything, I've seen the new all-in-one-PDA-phones... but I *love* my
Jornada.)

Thanks for any help!

-Gina

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~*~*~*
My brain seems to have a circuit-breaker-like mechanism that, when I get
confused and befuddled by the overwhelming monstrosities of my life,
causes a default to the simplest and most pleasant of thoughts. Like
Marshmallow Peeps. I *like* Marshmallow Peeps.

Gina Norman And the only bit that
gina AT vnet.net (me personally) really matters:
ginanorm AT nortelnetworks.com (me at work)
http://users.vnet.net/gina
ginathelintqueen AT yahoo.com (me personally, again -- sick of me yet? ;)
*~*~*~*

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as:
geschwin AT email.unc.edu To unsubscribe send a blank email to
$subst('Email.Unsub')