internetworkers - Re: contact managers

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <czei AT webperformanceinc.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: contact managers
  • Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 09:20:44 -0500

Thomas Beckett wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good contact manager that works well with Palm? I need something a little more sophisticated than the native address book, something that lets you cross-reference entries and use multiple categories. Relational.

I've tried a 2 y.o version of Act!, which does talk to Palm, but it slows /everything/ down and screws up my synchronization.

As a relatively long time Act! user, I can't recommend it to anyone. Since Symantec sold Act! to Interact Corporation a couple of years ago there hasn't been a single feature added. In fact, with each patch it gets buggier and buggier. Its now crashing several times a day for me, but their export features are so limited, there's no way to get the data I need out of it. At this point I'm planning on hiring a temp to type in all of the information by hand to its replacement.

Interact Corp seems to be putting all of the resources into their "enterprise" contact manager, which is several times more expensive than Act!.

The only alternatives I'm aware of are Goldmine, which also doesn't work well with Palm. There's an open source contact manager, www.relata.org, but it doesn't sync with the Palm.

--
Michael Czeiszperger
czei AT webperformanceinc.com

  • contact managers, Thomas Beckett, 04/04/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: contact managers, Michael Czeiszperger, 04/05/2002