internetworkers - Re: online community legal troubles (link)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas"<mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: online community legal troubles (link)
  • Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 17:03:49 -0500

>I can't see how this lawsuit
>survived a motion todismiss, which is the first >thing any lawyer should
>have filed.

Well... maybe there is stuff we don't know.
Maybe there was a prior antagonistic relationship.
Maybe they were running rival businesses.

...Who knows... Regardless, $15 M is pretty steep.

Quite hard to find good info on libel as applied
to email. Or maybe I'm not the Googlier I thought
I was. Found this old article:

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-209083.html?tag=bplst

"Legal experts say the case is not the first lawsuit to address online libel,
and it won't be the last. But it does cement a growing realization by Net
users who are accustomed to shooting from the hip: what they say in chat
rooms, email, or on Web sites is not exempt from the laws of the offline
world."