internetworkers - Re: online community legal troubles (link)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: online community legal troubles (link)
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 20:51:55 -0000 (UTC)

The thing that gets me is that the plaintiff is unrepresented -- no
lawyer. The defendants have alawyer but are still settling with this guy. I
can't see how this lawsuit
survived a motion todismiss, which is the first thing any lawyer should have
filed.

What a load of crap.

TaB

> Moral of the Story: Don't mess with Plant Lovers.
>
> It's crazy to see
things like this grow out of proportion...

> Before long the whole system will
collapse.

<mdthomas AT mindspring.com> wrote:

>> Makes me wonder if all online communities
will soon need in-list legal
>> counsel...

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/04/04/aquatic_plants/index.html

"It's the story of a multi-million dollar lawsuit that has transformed
>> a sleepy online
community of aquatic plant gardeners into a hotbed of
>> accusations of libel,
conspiracy, defamation, computer hacking,
>> infringement on freedom of speech and even
death threats."

>> ---
>> Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web site!

>> http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/ You are currently subscribed
internetworkers as: webdeveloper02 AT yahoo.com To unsubscribe send a
>> blank email to
$subst('Email.Unsub')

> Yahoo! Tax
Center - online filing with TurboTax