internetworkers - Re: Financial Software (was Re: Linux, AOL/TimeWarner, and the future of computing )

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney <alchemist AT darkcanvas.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Financial Software (was Re: Linux, AOL/TimeWarner, and the future of computing )
  • Date: 29 Mar 2002 10:52:28 -0500

On Fri, 2002-03-29 at 10:12, Lance A. Brown wrote:
> It gets the job done and keeps me from bouncing checks, so I'm happy.
> I've never touched ANY version of Quicken for Windows and am currently
> looking for a native linux solution for my bookkeeping. Gnucash seems
> a likely candidate, but I'm somewhat loathe to do the work of starting
> over in another financial program so inertia keeps me using Quicken.

In my last experiment with Gnucash, I exported my quicken data into a
single QIF (you can do that), and imported it into gnucash. Then, after
clearing the conflicts (if you manage transfers between multiple
accounts, you'll get some conflicts on the import, but gnucash is good
about finding them - much better than Quicken is), it was ready-to go.

The interface needs work, though, and I'm not ready to switch over full
time yet. In the mean time, I run Quicken under WINE almost flawlessly -
the almost being that the network stuff (downloading stocks & quicken
patches) doesn't work for me.

Perhaps I'll try the new Office Layer from CodeWeavers and see if that
helps, until gnucash is a little more mature.

-- Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney --
-- ICQ: 4855069 AIM: ksonney --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC 6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9
"It's not stupid...it's ADVANCED"

  • Re: Financial Software (was Re: Linux, AOL/TimeWarner, and the future of computing ), Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney, 03/29/2002