internetworkers - Greeting Card Spam?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "David R. Matusiak" <matusiak AT speakeasy.net>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Greeting Card Spam?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:34:19 -0800 (PST)

hey folks,

i believe someone proposed the idea during one of our "bitch about spam"
sessions that these greeting card sites are somehow being used by spammers to
harvest the addresses entered and send more spam to those poor recipients.

here is something from the MAPS site related to that idea:
http://mail-abuse.org/gc_rbl.html

while they do not go as far to suggest that the addys are being captured,
they
do mention that spammers are using these services to send mail to lists of
addresses that they already got from some other evil software.

MAPS makes suggestions to the greeting card sites that they implement changes
which would make it more difficult to abuse these services. i don't know if
the
greeting card sites are listening, tho. one can only hope. the editor of this
page also seems to be fond of the word "origionator" which i cannot find in
any
of my various dictionaries. oh, nit-picky me.

m a h t o o z e e a c k a t s p e e k e e z e e d o t n e t