internetworkers - Re: something for you politicos...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <czei AT webperformanceinc.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: something for you politicos...
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 08:10:31 -0500

On Wednesday 23 January 2002 01:27 am, you wrote:
> What if you have no real opinion but hate getting email asking you to
> waste your time signing petitions that nobody will ever read?
>
> http://www.aclu.org/congress/l071101a.html

That's a good question. When I get solicitations for a good cause over the
phone, my answer is easy: the phone isn't an appropriate medium for
communicating this type of information because its impossible to verify the
accuracy of the source. In any event I don't wish to encourage more contacts,
since there are so many good causes, our phoneswould be ringing off the hook.

The problem I have with advocacy is I don't think its effective. With most
hot button issues the people who are interested are already plugged into an
information network, and those who are not interested are not, so it doesn't
do any good telling them about it. For example, every time a bill comes up
that affects regulations for equines, the information is passed along through
the huge number of formal and informal mailing lists on that subject. I could
forward such messages to this group, but I doubt even those of you who like
horses would appreciate being told about it, and even fewer still would take
the time to write a letter to congress.

In this particular case, although the subject is orders of magnitude more
important than equine transportation laws, I'm already an ACLU member and on
their mailing list. And even though the subject is a weighty matter, there
are so many other matters of similar importance, and I doubt many on the list
want to get into a discussion of abortion, for example.

--
Michael Czeiszperger
Web Performance Inc.