internetworkers - Re: Spam roundtable

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "David R. Matusiak" <matusiak AT speakeasy.net>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Spam roundtable
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 15:42:04 -0800 (PST)

i believe this company to be one of the worst spammers i have encountered:

Virginia Web Properties, LLC
910 Princess Anne St Suite 116
Fredericksburg, VA 22401 US
Phone- 540-373-3373
Fax- 540-374-1218

this info comes from the whois records for three domains which will not stop
spamming me, regardless of what action i take. the domains are
<jobseekernews.com>, <allexecs.com>, and <allexecs.net>. i'm sure they have
many
others that i just don't know about yet.

the latest email (today at 5:45pm) came from:

and began by stating:
"JobSeekernews is a FREE opt-in e-zine for the career minded individual."

and concluded by stating:
"To unsubscribe from JobSeekerNews click on the link marked
UNSUBSCRIBE at http://www.jobseekernews.com
Replies sent to this email will not be received"

so, from their "UnSubscribe Me" link on their page it further insults me with:
"Please enter the e-mail address you used to subscribe to JobSeeker News
below.
We will then remove you from our list. You will receive no further mailings
from
us. You may come back at any time and re-subscribe if you wish."

what is insulting is the fact that i have never, whether thru their website,
nor
any website like it, never never ever "subscribed to" or "opted-in for" their
information or otherwise.

also on their homepage is this text:
"If you are having difficulties or wish to report spam, please contact
abuse AT jobseekernews.com."
however, since i have reported their spamming to the VA Web Properties (via
the
contact email listed: DotComDungeon AT VAWEBPROP.COM) and received nothing but
more
spam from them, i am choosing to not "report" them again.

i think this is a pretty clear cut case of SPAM / UCE / whatever you want to
call it. unfortunately, i tend to delete these messages as i consider them a
waste of resources. however, i plan on keeping track of them from now on as i
would like to extract whatever i can from their low-life businesses.

still waiting for the day that this type of abuse can be "instantaneously
dropped" from the internet...
drm
m a h t o o z e e a c k a t s p e e k e e z e e d o t n e t

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Thomas Beckett wrote:

> I had a nice chat about spam with my friend Sam Byassee this morning.
> Sam's one of the more prominent Computer/Internet lawyers in NC, and an
> Internetworker. He volunteered to bring a copy of the NC anti-spam
> statute to the gathering this Thursday evening, so we could discuss the
> existing law and possible ways to address the burgeoning spam problem.

  • Re: Spam roundtable, David R. Matusiak, 01/19/2002