internetworkers - Re: SNOW!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <art2mis AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: SNOW!
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 15:31:03 -0500

I just wanted to share my quintessential N.C. winter experience of yesterday:

As many of you know, Craig and I moved down here from Cleveland, OH about 1
1/2 years ago. As we heard many horror stories about the great "Blizzard of
2000", we sensibly held on to all our winter-weather gear: i.e. down parkas,
long johns, shovels, heavy boots and, most important of all, our all-wheel
drive vehicle. We tend to laugh heartily at the area's collective
overreaction to snow, while also being dismayed at the lack of salt on the
roads.

One of the things we enjoyed about Cleveland winters was getting out there in
the 1-2 foot snows on bright days and hiking. The cross-country skiers hated
us for breaking up their smooth tracks, but we loved it. So yesterday, I was
looking out my window at that lovely snow and decided to get out there and
walk -- we are lucky to live in an area that has many wooded trails through
the houses. I bundled up with my -20 C° rated hiking boots, sweat pants, a
wool sweater, leather jacket, scarf, gloves and hat -- I figured I wouldn't
need the down parka. Good thing, too - I didn't even need the gloves and
scarf!

I walked down to the cross street, which was completely ice-covered. Kids
were sledding down it. Down the street a bit were a group of my neighbors in
a driveway, sitting in folding chairs, drinking beers that were cooling in
the snow. I stopped to say hi, then went on my way, shedding some clothing.

The walk was beautiful, the temperature must have been above 40°, and I
delighted in seeing the following: a man clearing his driveway, stripped down
to his tee-shirt; several groups of people out making snowmen; another man in
shorts and a tee-shirt collecting his kid's sleds; and of course the
neighborly gathering, now grilling outside when I got back.

Cleveland this ain't! I'd just like to say how happy I am to be here.

Happy New Year!

Diana

  • SNOW!, Gina Norman, 01/03/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: SNOW!, David Minton, 01/03/2002
    • Re: SNOW!, Robert Weeks, 01/03/2002
    • Re: SNOW!, Heather Hesketh, 01/03/2002
    • Re: SNOW!, Diana Duncan, 01/06/2002