internetworkers - Whoops, forgot to mention.................

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Whoops, forgot to mention.................
  • Date: 21 Dec 2001 04:51:08 -0500

Ya know, I have trouble feeling sorry for all the folks who upgraded to
XP. Who here is truly surprised this happened or didn't expect this to
happen?

By now M$ Windows users should just assume their computers are the
public domain. I suggest they do one of the following:

1. Turn off nearly everything by default (statistically speaking this
will reduce the number of exploits on a given machine) and don't install
things someone doesn't ask for (packages!)
2. Open the thing up all the way. Give "toolz" and such to the masses
and let it be an anarchic society where everyone has guns and shoots at
everyone else.
3. www.windowsfreeware.com (ref to sunfreeware.com) and package a CD of
gnu utils *g*. (Yes gnu utils still have flaws but guess what...they
can blame them on the free software folks -- see we told you those folks
were "Un-American")...

hehe

-Andy
--