internetworkers - the ongoing saga of beth vs. the manuals

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Beth Ellison" <leonardbernst55 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: the ongoing saga of beth vs. the manuals
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:45:44 -0400

Morning Listy,

The Red Hat docs department is trying to create as much info for the box sets and/or our website as possible (not books for individual sale at Ye Ole Borders or anything like that). I posted a while back, asking "what do you think should be included in a good linux sys. admin. book" and got some very helpful suggestions, many of which are indeed going to be used. Our docs people met again Friday and it looks like we're creating three new books, possibly four (erf. Beth goes bug-eyed.), over the course of the next two years--Security, Developing for Linux, Home/Small Business-type System Administration, and (possibly) a Networking manual. If people respond to the home/small business sys. admin. book with "Yay! Now can we have more high-level sys. admin. info for Linux, please and thank you?" then there will be a fifth book.

Realizing that this is a list designed, primarily, for internet-worky types, I still know that a lot of you know a great deal about computer-related subjects other than the Internet. We have developed basic outlines for the first three books, and if you really want to see them say the word. Otherwise, if anyone feels so moved to just send me suggestions for topics that you think are vital/oft overlooked for any of these proposed manuals, it would be much appreciated. Writing to me offlist would probably be the politest thing to do, so them what aren't interested don't get a lot of email they don't want.

And in case you were wondering, the security book is the first one we plan to write, with the hope of having it done SOON.

Thanks very much for your time and happy flippin' Monday--
Beth