internetworkers - Triangle lectures & parking at UNC

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Linda Watson <linda AT lindawatson.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Triangle lectures & parking at UNC
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 19:56:14 -0400

How does one find out about the lectures and other brainiac events here in the land of universities and research institutions? And for the universities, where does one park?

I was delighted to see an ad in the News & Observer for Dr. Oliver Smithies lecture at UNC. The title was "Fifty Years at the Bench: A Geneticist's-Eye View of the Breathtaking Advances of Research." Bruce and I drove around for 15 minutes without finding a parking space. The Haynes Hall lot was closed and the one just down the street was reserved for an event (perhaps the lecture itself).

Surely there are many lectures on a variety of topics open to the public. I remember seeing a fascinating one on acupuncture for horses at NCSU in my undergrad years (what slides!). Wouldn't it be great to attend a talk on design, or textiles, or botany instead of seeing a JAG rerun?

Gentle InterNetworkers, what are your sources? Where do you park at UNC? And if any of you did make it, how was Dr. Smithies lecture?

Linda
please note new email address:
linda AT lindawatson.com (was linda.watson AT egarden.com)