internetworkers - RE: Fw: U.S. Policy Toward Political Islam

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Fw: U.S. Policy Toward Political Islam
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 22:36:47 -0400

I don't think anyone here is saying it is our fault. There is no excuse
or justification for such violence.

I think several people here, including myself, are saying that trying to
understand the motivations behind these horrific attacks and addressing
the underlying issues is an important component -- perhaps the most
important component -- of the way our nation should respond.

Dave Spitz wrote:
> Yes, it's all our fault. Thanks for the wisdom. Yesterday I was finally
> reunited with my wife and three children, ages 1, 2, and 3, who were in New
> York. I was stuck in California all week. Any idea how that feels? When my
> son asked me, "Daddy, why did those people knock down New York?", it was
> clearly naive of me to feel a heave in my heart and have no better answer
> than "I don't know".

I'm sorry that you're angry with us for trying to figure that question
out among ourselves.

I am very happy that your family is back together again. It has been a
very wrenching time.

TaB