internetworkers - An issue of intelligence

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Maria Winslow <maria.winslow AT dexxtra.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: An issue of intelligence
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 11:04:27 -0400

With cooperative worldwide intelligence, some of these people may have found
the barriers
to this act too great. For example, if we knew something about terrorist
group activity,
participants, movements, etc, then things could be done that are not violent
on a large
scale. For example, we will probably find that some of the hijackers had
passports from
Egypt, Jordan, etc. I am sure those countries would not issue passports to
suspected
terrorists if they knew, and a Libyan passport won't get you very far these
days. A fake
passport is more likely to arouse suspicion.

We have used intelligence to combat the mafia and drug cartels. We really
need to build up
this capability. I know the CIA is the traditional agency for this, but most
of us are a
little uncomfortable with the secrecy of the agency. Perhaps a special branch
of the
military should combat this issue? It seems obviously pertinent to NATO as
well.

Someone made the point that nations should be afraid to harbor terrorists,
and I absolutely
agree. The Taliban is clearly not scared enough, although I hate to think
what the solution
to this might be...

Maria

  • An issue of intelligence, Maria Winslow, 09/13/2001