internetworkers - Re: New WUNC schedule

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Diane M. Kurilecz" <d.m.kurilecz AT acm.org>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: New WUNC schedule
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 23:37:58 -0400

Michael S Czeiszperger wrote:

> I used to work for a radio software company, and the relaxation of laws
> concerning how many stations a single company could own has resulted in a
> huge reduction in the number of independent stations.

Maximize profits, minimize overhead. Mmm-hmm. Everyone can listen to the
mass-produced shock jocks and imitation friends on the radio (who needs
music?), eat at Applebees, shop at The Gap. These days you can hardly tell
what state you're in.

> There no longer are opportunities for jobs
> as the old fashioned "disk jocky",

My favorite radio station used to be WHFS in Annapolis, Maryland. They had
fantastic DJs who played progressive rock; Damian, Nissi(sp?), Weasel, and
several others knew their music and it showed. <googles> Hmm, looks like
Damian is at WRNR in Annapolis now {http://www.wrnr.com/home.html}. Too bad
I didn't know this while I was up there this past week! They aren't
streaming audio right now, but I highly recommend checking them out if
you're in the area. Here's a great article on him:
http://www.bayweekly.com/year00/issue8_34/lead8_34.html . (Yes, at first
glance, it seems odd to want to listen to a DJ who has a speech impediment,
but you get used to it pretty quickly and it's well worth the effort.)

***diane

--
Diane M. Kurilecz d.m.kurilecz AT acm.org
Readercon http://readercon.org/