internetworkers - Re: Microsoft Releases Explorer 6.0

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Childers.Paula AT epamail.epa.gov
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Releases Explorer 6.0
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:54:16 -0400

And really, we should let them tell us what to buy, as well. After all,
they'll have such a great database of information about each of us, they
should know better than us what we're going to like, right?

PC

Thomas

Beckett To: InterNetWorkers

<thomas@tbeck
<internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
ett.com> cc:

Subject: [internetworkers] Re:
Microsoft
08/28/01 Releases Explorer 6.0

06:43 AM

Please

respond to

InterNetWorke

rs

Plug-ins are lame! Who needs 'em?

I think it's a good thing to let Microsoft tell people what to put on
their Web sites. They know what they're doing. (And what we're
doing.)

TaB

Robert Weeks wrote:

> http://news.excite.com/news/ap/010827/19/internet-explorer
>
> Internet Explorer 6.0 will not automatically support the embattled
> Java programming language or Netscape-style "plug-ins," though users
> and developers will have tools to make the browser compatible with
> those products.
>
> Microsoft decided to dropped support for the plug-ins - additional
> software that lets users play music, watch videos or perform other
> tasks - in favor of Microsoft technology called ActiveX. Microsoft
> spokesman Jim Cullinan said the move was for increased security.
>
> The change means that certain programs, most notably QuickTime, will
> not work unless the Web site developer changes the code to meet
> Microsoft's requirements.
>
> And from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/ie6/default.htm
>
> Netscape-style plug-ins are not supported on Internet Explorer 6 (ref:
> KB article: Q303401 ). Internet Explorer 6 still supports the Netscape
> Embed tag, which enables you to use components that achieve the same
> functionality as when they were built as Netscape-style plug-ins, but
> that are now built on ActiveX® technologies. If you want to continue
> to use existing Netscape-style plug-ins on Internet Explorer 6 you
> should:
>
> * Contact the manufacturer of your Netscape-style plug-in to
> inquire whether the manufacturer has a version of the component
> available that is built on ActiveX technologies.
>
> * Rewrite existing Netscape-style plug-ins using ActiveX (or dual
> author to support both Netscape-style plug-ins and ActiveX
> controls).
>
> Robert Weeks
>
> Partner - Technology
> DesignHammer Media Group, LLC
> http://www.designhammer.com

> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as:
> thomas AT tbeckett.com
> $subst('Email.Unsub')

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as:
childers.paula AT epamail.epa.gov
$subst('Email.Unsub')