internetworkers - RE: Question: Broadband router with USB WAN port

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Craig Duncan" <craigduncan AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Question: Broadband router with USB WAN port
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 19:42:10 -0400

This is a new category of Internet Gateway designed to skip the hub
component between the router and your pc to keep both the cost of hardware
down and to restrict you to a single pc.

You have three options:
1: Use the Windows PC that the modem is plugged into as your Internet
Gateway for all other pc's (just add a second NIC).
2: Replace the USB modem they give you with a non-USB modem that plugs into
your hub/switch.
3. Ask Bellsouth if they would provide an alternate non-USB modem or allow
you to supply your own.

Note: USB modems are only likely to work with Windows due to a lack of
drivers for any other suitable platform (read Linux) that supports USB. If
you are interested in the details of the USB modem from Linksys
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=162&grid=20