internetworkers - Re: Searching the cache and privacy

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Gina Norman <gina AT vnet.net>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Searching the cache and privacy
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:39:47 -0400 (EDT)

> Maybe I'm mixing up privacy
> and libel.

It's been a long time since I've taken media law, but if I remember
correctly, something can only be libel if it's untrue. So, if it is
provable that I buy Harlequin Romances (store receipts, photos of me
buying them, etc.) , it can't be libelous to say that in a news story.

Privacy (from a media legality standpoint) only comes into play around the
methods that are used to gather information. If information has been
given to a paper (by a law enforcement agency) than the paper has not
broken any privacy laws in publishing it. If, OTOH, the paper hacks into
someone's computer to get their surfing history, then you get into fuzzy
legal space. (I won't go into it hre, but there are some interesting
debates around the boundaries of what can be considered "private" as
technology can increasingly do more than what the naked eye or ear could.

(Again with the caveat that it's been years since I've studied this).

Journalistic *ethics* are another ball of wax entirely....

YMMV,

Gina

> Another thing that bugs me is that if it weren't for the connection that
> Chandra had to the senator, we wouldn't even know about this. She would be
> just another missing girl on the other side of the country...
>
> Just my $.02,
> Dallas

My brain seems to have a circuit-breaker-like mechanism that, when I get
confused and befuddled by the overwhelming monstrosities of my life,
causes a default to the simplest and most pleasant of thoughts. Like
Marshmallow Peeps. I *like* Marshmallow Peeps.

Gina Norman And the only bit that
gina AT vnet.net (me personally) really matters:
ginanorm AT nortelnetworks.com (me at work) http://users.vnet.net/gina
gina AT earthling.net (me personally, again -- sick of me yet? ;)