internetworkers - RE: internetworkers digest: July 21, 2001

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Wagoner <dbwagoner AT yahoo.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: internetworkers digest: July 21, 2001
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 08:51:47 -0700 (PDT)

That's an interesting argument, but I don't feel the
same way.

Let's say, for example, that I am a married man with
children and I get murdered. Let's also assume that I
am a closet homosexual and frequently look at gay porn
on the web but I have not revealed any of this to
family or friends. Now, if I am murdered then the
authorities can perform an autopsy on my body
searching for murder clues but they wouldn't know
about my gay tendencies. However, if they searched my
computer they would certainly find out and most likely
leak private information that I did not want
publicized. That's where I see a distinction in the
privacy issue- searching my body is different than
searching my mind (i.e., my computer in this case).

david

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010720/us/condit_missing_woman.html

> The FBI is publicly releasing a list of Websites
> that Chandra Levy visited
> the day before she disappeared. Can anyone say,
> "invasion of privacy?" How
> can we stop this from becoming routine?

> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as:
> dbwagoner AT yahoo.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')

=====
David Wagoner