internetworkers - Re: summer reading

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steve Burnett <sburnett AT webslingerz.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: summer reading
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 21:25:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Rachel Cox wrote:

> At 05:47 PM 7/19/2001 -0400, mdthomas AT mindspring.com wrote:
> >
> >I've got some time off coming up. I was wondering if anyone
> >could recommend some good current fiction. Anyone read
> >anything recently that really turned them on?
>
> Neil Gaiman, _American Gods_. If you like Neil Gaiman,
> you'll love it; if you don't know Neil Gaiman, it's not
> a bad introduction.

If you've got a shorter attention span, Gaiman's recently released _Smoke
& Mirrors_ collection of short stories is overall pretty good. If you
like the film _Fight Club_, you might like Chuck Palahniuk's (the author
of the novel the film _Fight Club_ was based on_) new novel _CHOKE_.

I can't really recommend the new James Ellroy _The Cold Six Thousand_ as
up to his usual standard of noir, I feel as though he's losing his grasp
a bit.

Me, I'm rereading Daniel Keys Moran's sf novel _The Last Dancer_ around
Electrix (studio audio effect units) manuals and IPsec config HOWTOs.

regards,
Steve Burnett
Steve Burnett Admin, webslingerZ sburnett AT webslingerz.com
http://www.webslingerz.com/sburnett/