internetworkers - Re: Fwd: Triangle Sports Social Club Kickoff Party/Tournament!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Heather Hesketh <heather AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Fwd: Triangle Sports Social Club Kickoff Party/Tournament!
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 19:28:45 -0400

At 06:44 PM 7/17/2001 -0400, Thomas Beckett wrote:
>Danny Lefebre worked for Fusion Ventures. He organized their deck
>parties. If you were on that list, now you're on the TSSC list.

Am I the only one that finds this remotely offensive?! They didn't even bother to go through their spam list and ascertain if someone is in their demographic. My mentor is over 50?! And yet the email is directed at "young professionals."

I feel like if you're going to fill my inbox (and potentially many of the inboxes on the servers that my company runs), you should at least have the decency to prune your list somewhat and/or personalize your email to the recipient, so that I don't feel like you might just be the same people trying to sell me toner cartridge.

We blocked Fusion Venture email for spam way back. Unfortunately, the FV folks are sprouting up in new places.

Don't get me wrong, I know that email can be a very effective marketing tool, and I'm not a grouchy curmudgeon. I also know that you can quickly pissed off folks, especially tech folks or, worse yet, sysadmins, by sending them something that remotely smells of spam. If you're targeting young professionals in an area where many of them are technical, shouldn't you be all the more careful to avoid tactics that could be perceived as spam?!

Sending email that says where they heard about you and why they think you might be interested would be better. Or sending an email to ING that said, "We've started this new thing and think some of you folks might be interested." Or better yet, sending said message to someone you know in the community and having them send it along with some context could be very effective. You could also encourage them to tell their friends, so maybe a TW^2 person would forward it along to that community, etc.

What they did makes me assume they are unprofessional, snake oil folks, and I wouldn't trust them with my email or the email of my friends (or foes).

OK so maybe I am grouchy, but I get so sick of unprofessional stunts like this that it makes me want to run away to the West coast some days.

Heather

--
Heather A. Hesketh http://www.hesketh.com
CEO vox: 919.834.2552 x12