internetworkers - Stuff to do, off the chain

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Victoria McGovern <vmcgovern AT bwfund.org>
  • To: "'internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: "'stevie AT unc.edu'" <stevie AT unc.edu>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, off the chain
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:59:55 -0400

For folks who are more into hanging out than playing sports, there's a more
"off the chain" local hang-out-and-do-stuff group, SPOT (single
professionals of the triangle). The attached document is a recent listing of
SPOT events. SPOT communicates mostly by email but will get around to having
a web site sometime. SPOT has grown by word of mouth (er, word of email)
over the last couple of years.

Want more information? Email Stevie, SPOT's fabulous list-mama:
stevie AT unc.edu

Uzoma said

> I got that email, too. It's kinda cool that such groups are popping up
> but it scary how everything on the site appears, so very wonderbread.
>
> We need stuff happening around here that's off the chain. Really...
>
> Uzoma

For more information about SPOT, email stevie AT unc.edu

******************* Hey SPOTS! (Single Professionals of the Triangle)!

News for the week ending Sunday, June 3, 2001

Welcome to yet another exciting list of upcoming events and such for you
blessed few who choose to be
members of such a fun and social group here in the triangle!

Ok, first things first. Lots of you have been recommending this club to
friends and coworkers and such and
were curious about the club and what to tell them they need to join up..Well,
it's easy-and of course free
too!

We need things like their name, age, sex, hobbies, where from, where they
live, interests,brief intro/bio to
the group, a phone # to contact them for events and finally a new request-a
pic so we can recognize them at
events (this pic will be for our files only)..it will also serve to help
leaders of events find their people, etc.

Old members are welcome to forward their info as well if you'd like to be
"introduced" to find a hobby
group or activity partner ;)

Oh and to answer some general questions of new members- we have well over 400
members (haven't
counted recently but that was the last run) and the average age of members is
32 and we are pretty evenly
split males to females. People are from all over the Triangle area..mostly
Raleigh, Cary and surrounding
areas...We are NOT a dating service-we welcome singles AND couples..SPOT was
formed as a way for
other singles to meet and have a group to hang out with and many groups and
friendships have been formed
along the way...so don't feel the pressure either way. ;)

We plan to have monthly all member socials/happy hours at various triangle
locations so members can
meet each other...If you have any interest in being a leader for an event-be
it rock climbing or just a movie
night out, drop us a line and we'll send you details for the next leader
event/planning meeting.

Ok, so now that all the administrative crud is over, let's get on with the
fun! :)

Last week's was a bit long of a newsletter, but I will repost pertinent info
here today as well as new
upcoming events our members are hosting or planning on attending.....
baseball fun night out next
wednesday..Trip to the Bulls game soon to come!
So here goes:

First off:

*******TONIGHT NEWS!!!*************

ALIVE AFTER 5 IS POSTPONED UNTIL NEXT THURSDAY, JUNE 14th FYI!!!!!

**********Friday, June 8, 2001*************

We have a group going Fri to see Raleigh Little Theater¹s production of
Little Shop of Horrors..

We will plan to be there by 7pm as this is open seating and OUTSIDE in the
rose
garden/ampitheater..Coolers will be checked for glass or alcohol, but picnic
baskets are fine and anything
else..low chairs or blankets are suggested to sit on...

We will all try to get an area together and have a "dinner" there
beforehand..Wine and Beer will be sold
there, but I'm sure some of you are pretty good at concealing it if you want
to bring your own in say,
thermoses, dark root beer bottles, etc....;) (you didn't hear it from me
though)

Shows are 8pm. Tix are $15 or $10 for students. Call 821-xxxx for tickets or
let us know if you want to join
us. we will meet at the box office at 7pm, but won't know to look for you
unless you tell us :)

Hope you guys will join for a cool night under the stars watching a fun
musical!

****SATURDAY, JUNE 9, 2001****************

James Taylor Concert at Walnut Creek.. Show starts at around 8pm and
tailgaiting around 6ish...a number
of SPOT folks are going, so if you want to hook up with some, drop us a line!
Tix are still available
supposedly.

It's a Carolina tradition if you haven't tried it yet-lawn seats and JT on a
summer night-what could be
better?

Star Trek Convention Costume and trivia contests, vendors, rare merchandise,
Michael Dorn and Marina
will be there. June 9 & 10, Noon to 6pm, Sat, Jun 9th-9pm: Special
Presentation of Hotel Suite, Neil
Simon¹s play Durham Marriott Civic Center 201 Foster Street $17 Advance tix
409-0960 or visit
www.creationent.com

========================

Outdoor Movies on the lawn=Chapel Hill area

There¹s another outdoor movie venue in the area- over in Chapel Hill at the
Lumina Theater. (A new
theater that opened last summer) Take a look at www.thelumina.com for the
list- it's too long to include
here. It was $3 pp last weekend There's a map on the web site- it's
located in the middle of Southern
Village subdivision which is a bit different and a little hard to find.

******************************* CRUSH Schedule for June:

Fri 6/8 Crowley's at Stonehenge
Sat 6/16 South End Brewery
Fri 6/22 Tony's Oyster Bar
Sat 6/23 The Rhino Club
Fri 6/29 Michael Dean's

*****************************

FUTURE EVENTS:

============

SCHOOLHOUSE ROCK OUTING!!!

Production has been postponed until June 20-25, starts at 7:30 pm, they start
selling tickets on june 11th.....
we will be going to that for sure!
_____________________

Carolina Courage

Meet the Players and buy tickets for upcoming games! Tuesday, June 12th
7:30pm

The presentation is June 12th at 7:30 at the McKimmon Center on State campus,
corner of Western and
Gorman St. This is an event being sponsored by RSOC and they have extended
the invitation to SPOT
folks.

~~~~~~Wednesday June 13th~~~~~~~~ 7:00 pm
Historic Durham Athletic Park
(i.e. the old Bulls field) Coastal Plain League Baseball Durham Braves vs.
Asheboro Copperheads

Directions: Take Durham Freeway Exit 12-C (Duke St.). After approx. 1/2
mile-- a block or so past
Brightleaf Square-- turn right on W. Corporation St. Durham Athletic Park
will be one block on your left.

The Braves don't have their new ticket prices out yet, but last year getting
in was about $5, good-sized draft
beer was $1.00, peanuts, hotdogs etc. were likewise cheap.

The Coastal Plain League is a summer league stocked with college players
mostly from around the
southeast. Games are usually pretty sparsely attended, and they're not the
best players in the world, but
heck, it's cheap beer, the old ballpark, a summer night... how can you go
wrong? (The sparse attendance
means there's plenty of parking, too.)

contact " to sign up

****
Also: concert tonight at Alltel Pavilion
Backstreet Boys with Shaggy (see www.sfx.com for tickets)
*****

********Saturday, June 16th, 2001*************

PRIVATE House party for SPOT Members....

It's time to Celebrate! Come Welcome Jeff Home from his 4 month stay in
Puerto Rico on Saturday June
16th starting at 8pm. We will have a Keg for your enjoyment. Dancing is
required. Late night golfing is
optional.

Directions to Jeff's:

~~~~Saturday June 23rd~~~~~~

Pool Party with Woodcroft Singles We will be having a Pool Party at the
Woodcroft Swim & Tennis Club
in Durham from 8-11 p.m. onŠŠ Saturday June 23. Music, food, and
socializing. BYOB. Cost $5.
Contact:

Also in Durham that night: Boo¹s Trailer Trash Drivein Night..live music and
funky feel fundraiser at the
Starlite Drive-in..can¹t beat this for Southern Culture ;) call 361-4246 for
more details

**********************************

Tubing Dan River

TUBING TRIP!!!!!

This is a big one folks! Over 120 people are planning on going, so please
make sure you get there ON
TIME as we know Matt, who is running this, won¹t wait! Since it¹ll be a
scorcher, everyone is sure to get
friend and soaked all day long1 Contact Matt if you want to see if there is
still room for you to join up if
you haven¹t signed up already! Have a blast guys! Thanks again to Matt for
organizing!

Tubing Dan River Trip Date: Saturday, June 30th Location: Where do we meet -
Western Blvd. K-Mart,
Time: Be there at 9:30 AM, We will leave as a group at 10:00. Please be
there at 9:30, it will take that long
to collect all the money Cost - $6.00 per person per tube Travel time - About
2 - 2.25 hours Tube Ride -
about 4-5 hours (dependent upon water level of river) Quick summation -
2-hour drive, 4-5 hour tube ride,
2-2.25 hours back to Raleigh. Contact Matt at:

~~~~~June/ July~~~~~

B.L.T. Big Blowout Pool Party Don¹t forget the BIG upcoming ALL SPOT pool and
fun party at the end of
June or one of the first weekends in July (NOT July 4th!)...

Plans are for a live band or dj, plus all the fun you can muster! It's
bathing suit, lingerie or togas only
folks..so start thinking about what you could wear....we'll keep you
posted..Tell your friends..but they need
to join SPOT to gain admission (we WILL have the membership list with us at
the door!)

**************** July

PRIVATE SPOT MEMBER PARTY IN DURHAM! We¹re welcoming Cindy to her new house
in
Woodcroft. Guests are asked to bring a drink or something to share. It should
be a great time for all and lots
of new faces! Since space is limited, please RSVP to me if you are interested
in coming. Directions will be
given then. If you have energy after the tubing trip, come on by!

SOUTHEND BREWERY BENEFIT 4pm-8pm..Tickets just $10 includes buffet and music
and fun!

Happening Events in the area..(Thanks Metty!)

June 9 - James Taylor at Walnut Creek June 17 - Don't Forget father's day
June 14 - Alive at 5 at the Civic
center June 20 - Summer Solstice at the NC Museum of Science July 26 -
Prevent Blindness NC at the
Farmers Market with Liquid Pleasure ($25 for admission, food and beverages)
(a definite fun event!) June
28 - Art After Hours at the Art Museum ($10 for non-members) July 4 - well,
it's on a wednesday ;) Find us
at the beach house! July 31 - Blink 182 at Walnut Creek August 4 - G105 Big
Shindig with Barenaked
Ladies and Vertical Horizon Sept. 7 - Bull Durham Blues Festival

ONGOING FUN EVENTS (Anyone want to lead something?) Durham Bulls Baseball
Schedule
<"http://www.durhambulls.com";> (Only $7 for tickets) Hiberninan Pub Quiz
night - every Monday at
9:30 PM ($100 prize and lot of fun) Carolina Brewing Company brewery tour
- Saturdays at 1 PM in
Holly Springs,( free beer) Alive at 5 - every other thursday Mission Valley
Concert series - every other
thursday

********************************** SPORTS

~~~Tennis anyone?~~~~~~

Also, we need volunteers to help with a tennis tournament to benefit the Cell
Foundation June 22-24. [As
an incentive, volunteers get free admission to the Pool Party on Saturday the
23rd.] We need about 20
volunteers for 2-3 hour blocks each.

Tennis players are also welcome to sign up for this 2nd Annual tournament
($20), and I can send more
information. This will be a big deal with play at three different venues:
Woodcroft, Hope Valley Farms,
and Jordan H.S. tennis courts.

If you are a player and looking for partners, drop me a line and I'll put you
all in touch-let me know your
level of play as well :)

*************************
OVERNIGHT SCUBA TRIP We will be driving to Beaufort Saturday morning,
September 15th arriving
around noon-ish. The dive consists of one off shore (max depth is 120') and
one in-shore shallow dive.
You don't have to be a certified Wreck Diver....Open Water Diver
certification will do. We can stay in
their dive lodge Saturday night and return on Sunday ($14 per person if we
have at least 7 people). Cost for
the dive is $85. In order to reserve this dive, we must pay in full. So if
you're definitely interested, contact
Millie NO LATER THAN WEDNESDAY, JUNE 27TH for payment information. For more
information
on the dive sites, visit www.discoverydiving.com.

****************************

G105 SHINDIG? Shindig anyone? If you¹re planning on going or interested in
seeing this years Shindig,
we can try to arrange a group outing and getting together at the show
http://www.g105.com/Shindig.htm

****************************

YARD SALE If any SPOT folks are looking to donate some items for a Yard Sale,
the Jaycees will be
having their Yard Sale on Saturday, August 4th. The proceeds are going to
HOBY, a youth leadership
seminar that we run every year at Meredith College. They could arrange to
pick up items if needed. Contact
Sharon at: "Sharon" <> if interested :)

************************
ANIMAL RESCUE/ ADOPTIONS

If anyone is looking or knows of anyone looking for a new pet, obviously we
suggest always checking out
your local shelters or area rescue groups. I am currently in touch with
someone looking to place a 2 year
old black lab (purebred) male in a foster or permanent home in case anyone
might know of anyone looking
for a lab..You can contact me for now until I have more details..in the
menatime, check out breed specific
rescues via the web or places like Independent Animal Rescue
(www.animalrescue.net)) or Best Friends
(www.bfpa.org), etc.

Also from a member:

Hey! If you happen to know of anyone looking for a precious black lab ( a
little chow) pup, let me know...i
have 6 of them that will be 9 weeks old June 1st. They will be ready to go
by 12 weeks, possibly
sooner...after vaccinations, etc. I have 3 males & 3 females...they are very
calm, personable, sweet pups.
Thanks so much!

bren (contact her at: "Brenda" <bfa>

***************************** ROOMMATES WANTED:

From Michele: I have 2 bed, 2.5 bath, brand new townhome in Wake Forest.
Furnished except for the extra
rooms. We have great young neighbors, and I am a very easy person to get
along with. Non-smoker, neat,
and responsible roommate preferred.(guy or gal) It is available at end of
July, maybe sooner. Rent is $400
plus 1/2 utilities. If anyone is interested in finding out more or checking
the place out, please have them
email Michele m

INTRODUCTON TO NEW MEMBERS:

As planned, we would like to welcome our new members (we tend to average
about 10 a week) by posting
their brief intros to the group. We will not publish their full names or
email addresses unless they request it.

Please welcome the following new members:

Darrin M.
Chana W.
Judy G.
Pam W.
Chris M.

  • Stuff to do, off the chain, Victoria McGovern, 07/17/2001