internetworkers - Re: anyone planning to register .biz

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: anyone planning to register .biz
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 11:48:39 -0400

On 5/29/01 10:05 AM, "Thomas Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com> wrote:

> David Minton wrote:
>> Did the story make it into the paper? I looked and did not see it.
>
> It ran today, and, /ahem/, Mr. Minton was himself quoted. Nice ink,
> Dave!

Thanks. The Business news was hidden in the Sports section today. Or else:

http://www.newsobserver.com/tuesday/business/Story/500970p-500635c.html

> Sounds to me like the new TLDs are a tremendous revenue opportunity ...
> for the domain registrars.

At least they would have been a year or two ago. I have a feeling that ICANN
cost the profiteering opportunists, I mean registrars, a great deal of
potential revenue by dragging out the process. I think the days of six (and
seven) figure price tags for domain names is gone. I think the industry has
demonstrated that a good business model is far more valuable (and possible
even less expensive) than a snazzy domain name.

In the article, I expressed the opinion that many web users will get .BIZ
and .COM domains confused. Don't we see this today with .NET and .ORG
domains? I believe that .COMs are the only domains that will ever be useful
for businesses. Does anyone have a differing opinion, or was I stating the
obvious?

I was going to post this same question to the list in a day or so anyway. Is
anyone recommending clients invest in .BIZ or .PRO domains?

David

David Minton - Managing Partner
DesignHammer Media Group, LLC
www.designhammer.com