internetworkers - Re: Geek-nic planning posse

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger" <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Geek-nic planning posse
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 11:18:26 -0400

The Triangle Woodturners get a 100 person shelter each year for a
picnic. The 100 people have to be quite friendly to all sit, but the
shelter area is spacious. We have never had anyone check us that I know
and we take a few lathes, grinders and other equipment out to play
around on. (Danger, danger! Power tools!) I would think most gum'nt
types would run up screaming, but we have never been harassed.
The restrooms are fairly close, but you do have to walk some to get to
them. (moral of story: don't wait until the pressure builds...) If you
don't reserve the shelters, don't go out late since there are many
groups that come out in the afternoon to have family gatherings, etc. I
would suggest that a group start around Noon if you don't get a
reservation or the shelter will be occupied. (Do any other geeks get up
early?)
If you are going to set a date and go to Lake Crabtree, I would get a
reservation ASAP. These things are very popular. We reserve one in
February to get the date we want. Roger (in RTP)